Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tabata Workouts are the SHIT!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am 

I love the Sweet Sixteen from II.

I'd never heard of Tabata intervals until I got II. When I have no evening workout planned and unexpected time on my hands, I do alternating tabata heavy bag work with any other movement I feel like throwing in: bodyweight squats, jumping jacks, squat jumps (if I feel like walking funny for the rest of the night).

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:27 am 

TRY THIS TABATA WORKOUT:
1- Tabata burpee
2- Tabata air punching (HARD PUNCHES)
3- Tabata Chinnies
4- Tabata squats (with ur sandbag)
5- Tabata advanced chair pushups

THIS WORKOUT IS GOOD I LOVE IT.

INTENSE THOUGH. :dance:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:39 am 

Steve C wrote:
Try tabata sprints. The only way I can think to describe them is fucked up.

i love them but my problem is my gymboss is 2 years old so the beeper is not as loud when 1st got it and even though 20secs aint a long time am aware of the time and dont want to go over 20 sec barrier, that aint no excuse like not to do them ....... dam i think i know what am doing later :mozilla_cry:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:30 am 

I like the following four sets of Tabata intervals:
- burpees
- high knees with OH DB press
- bend and reach with smallish MB
- wild card

The bend and reach is like trying to throw the ball through your legs behind you. You start standing up with the ball behind your head. The first time I did this, my hamstrings were SORE the next day.

The last exercise is a wild card. I sometimes do squats. Sometimes I alternate between squats and pushups. If I'm ever feeling like totally killing myself, I'll do burpees.

Self movement is the prime athletic directive.
A person can gain as much strength as they'll ever need through bodyweight exercise.
There is more to strength than one-rep max.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:07 am 

Thought I'd pass along a variation of The Sweet 16 I like do. I kickbox and for any one else out there who does mma or muay thai you might find this to your liking.
Tabata Shin kicks- 4 mins 8, 20-10's, 1 rd right leg roundhouse, 2nd rd left leg roundhouse.

Tabata Jumping squats- 4 mins 8, 20-10's, keep your jumps a max 5-10 inches off the ground, too high of a jump you wont get the necessary burn.

Tabata front kicks-4 mins 8, 20-10's, same as the first round, alternate legs every round.

Tabata Knees-4 mins 8, 20-10's- clinch the bag and give all out alternating knees for every 20 second round.

Let me know how you like it

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 am 

My last tabata session was as follows:

12 x High Knee DB Press
1 minute rest
12 x Reverse Thrusters (I call Sumo Deadlift Hi Pull with a kettlebell Reverse Thrusters)
1 minute rest
12 x Wall Ball
1 minute rest
12 x Lateral jumps over the medicine ball

The 12 stands for 12 tabatas, thats 6 minutes of each! yes it hurt!

Yours,
Beev

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDIgr_sqS6c

This is mine.I did it half XD It's very hard! Try it :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:26 am 

Sorry to criticize and to spoil the fun but these routines being posted are not the types of workouts Dr. Tabata prescribed. 1 4 minute set balls to the wall with an exercise that should be challenging enough to make you fail and to have you on the ground gasping for breath...Olympic athletes testing this fell to the floor unable to do anything else after 4-5 minutes so when i see 10-20 minute "Tabata" routines i get skeptical.

If you want to extend the routine simply do a true 4 minute tabata set with a hard exercise. I suggest sprinting(hardest) or punch out drills. After that jog around skip rope and just do things for 10 more minutes....but please don't call what you do after the first 4 minutes tabata.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:42 am 

Tabata Circuits are insane I like them better than minute drills IMO.. Say you've got a packed schedule.. Got like 20 minutes before you got to go. Throw on your workout clothes and bang out 4 tabata intervals..

Tabata Pushups
1 Minute of rest
Tabata Jump Rope
1 Minute of rest
Tabata Lunges
1 Minute of Rest
Tabata Pull ups
Rest.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:09 am 

Intense wrote:
Sorry to criticize and to spoil the fun but these routines being posted are not the types of workouts Dr. Tabata prescribed. 1 4 minute set balls to the wall with an exercise that should be challenging enough to make you fail and to have you on the ground gasping for breath...Olympic athletes testing this fell to the floor unable to do anything else after 4-5 minutes so when i see 10-20 minute "Tabata" routines i get skeptical.

If you want to extend the routine simply do a true 4 minute tabata set with a hard exercise. I suggest sprinting(hardest) or punch out drills. After that jog around skip rope and just do things for 10 more minutes....but please don't call what you do after the first 4 minutes tabata.

I think this is a timely reminder of the idea behind a tabata interval - it is doing something flat out, with limited rest, so that you are absolutely spent at the end of. So trying to do 2 sets of tabata intervals of burpees one after another would be, I think, self defeating in terms of complying with the theory of tabata - but I am sure a lot of people would say it was still an insane workout and well worth doing. I do not think it is
as worth doing for me, which is why I have tried to choose very different exercises that complement each other and the systems they use (with minimal overlap) so that a continuous tabata interval effect can be achieved that is more in line with the original principle of a 4 minute flat out interval. So by the time I am onto the last exercise of 4, the heavy bag 1-2s, I am recovered enough, after 8 minutes of other exercises, to be able to go at it again in a vigourous anerobic way, though I agree that I will not be as fresh if I just did 4 mins on the heavy bag. Perhaps the most important thing is that people train with, as Ross said, intensity, and if you use tabatas well, then by default it should be intense. I think another thing is that as hard as 4 minutes can be of burpees, some people on this forum for sure are conditioned enough to be able to perform to such a high standard and then, with minimal rest, go hard at something else, though I do not claim to necessarily be one of them ;-) The idea I guess I am thinking of here is that 4 minutes of exercise does not seem enough, even though tabatas are wonderful, if I am capable of more, then I feel I ought to do more, 4 minutes of exercise will not take me to the next level.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning