Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tabata Workouts are the SHIT!
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 am 

Intense wrote:
Sorry to criticize and to spoil the fun but these routines being posted are not the types of workouts Dr. Tabata prescribed. 1 4 minute set balls to the wall with an exercise that should be challenging enough to make you fail and to have you on the ground gasping for breath...Olympic athletes testing this fell to the floor unable to do anything else after 4-5 minutes so when i see 10-20 minute "Tabata" routines i get skeptical.

If you want to extend the routine simply do a true 4 minute tabata set with a hard exercise. I suggest sprinting(hardest) or punch out drills. After that jog around skip rope and just do things for 10 more minutes....but please don't call what you do after the first 4 minutes tabata.

Not spoiling any fun.

When I do my tabata cycles, I give my all every 20 second interval, and am ready to die after the 4 minutes, trust me. But after a minute rest I am able to go again. Sure the 2nd one won't be quite as intense, nor the 3rd as intense as the 2nd, because exhaustion is now accumulating.

But that does not make what I do any less "tabata" just because I don't stop after the first four minutes. Trust me, I cannot possibly work any harder than I do, during every single high intensity cycle. I may be exhausted and physically incapable of punching as fast, or doing burpees as fast, but I am still pushing as fast as I fucking can.

So, you can consider me as doing 1 tabata with a 12 minute finisher if you want. That more acceptable to your grammatical palette? :P

The beauty of doing tabatas this way, as opposed to how the man himself put them out, is we get the benefit of working through exhaustion. I want to learn to keep working even when I am gasping for air, so what better time to do that then when exhaustion is accumulating?

To me all that is required for a tabata cycle to be called that is a 2 to 1 ratio or work/rest or work relief, where the work intervals are as hard and intense as you can possibly do. My workouts meet that criteria. The fact I do a few back to back does not mean I am not trying 100 percent during the work cycles, it is a testament to my mental toughness and my improved recovery time that I worked so god damned hard for.

Bench 285, Dead 475, Squat 395

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:20 pm 

I agree with you guys. Tabata is something new to me which i have been using on push ups the last couple weeks. One word - pain! I think they are an excellent way to isolate whatever group your working while still keeing the cardio high.

After the four munite cycle though, I am unable to do more on that group (squats, push ups etc). I hopeI'm doing it right because I am fucked after four minutes!!! I move on to the next group.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:30 pm 

There are 2 ways one can do tabata workouts.
Give 100% for the 20 seconds.
Or I think this is from crossfit. Say you are doing tabata squats your lowest number in any of the 8 sets, that is your score. So you have to pace your self, but not too much.

#1 is better for conditioning. although #2 I think it improves your numbers faster.

Workout log:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43595

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:00 pm 

Thelionheart2333 wrote:
Thought I'd pass along a variation of The Sweet 16 I like do. I kickbox and for any one else out there who does mma or muay thai you might find this to your liking.
Tabata Shin kicks- 4 mins 8, 20-10's, 1 rd right leg roundhouse, 2nd rd left leg roundhouse.

Tabata Jumping squats- 4 mins 8, 20-10's, keep your jumps a max 5-10 inches off the ground, too high of a jump you wont get the necessary burn.

Tabata front kicks-4 mins 8, 20-10's, same as the first round, alternate legs every round.

Tabata Knees-4 mins 8, 20-10's- clinch the bag and give all out alternating knees for every 20 second round.

Let me know how you like it

Sounds like a good drill thanks for sharing

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:09 pm 

Quote:
So, you can consider me as doing 1 tabata with a 12 minute finisher if you want. That more acceptable to your grammatical palette? :P

Yes more acceptable :mozilla_smile:

As long as the first set is a difficult movement for ones conditioning whatever comes after is just a bonus. Just make sure you keep upping the first 4 minutes intensity...that is the most important part.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:01 pm 

i tried tabata intervals tonight for the first time after reading about it on here,

i done it with pull ups, it was fuckin crazy, on the final 20 seconds i was just hangin there managing to get about 3 or 4 out haha

round of applause for dr tabata :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited by Darren EFC on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm 

So today I did tabata rowing. Now I'm really...f***ed up.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Sorry to criticize and to spoil the fun but these routines being posted are not the types of workouts Dr. Tabata prescribed. 1 4 minute set balls to the wall with an exercise that should be challenging enough to make you fail and to have you on the ground gasping for breath...Olympic athletes testing this fell to the floor unable to do anything else after 4-5 minutes so when i see 10-20 minute "Tabata" routines i get skeptical.

It all depends on the predetermined goals set out by the individual.

99.9 percent of Tabata workouts are deviations from the original study that was performed in 1996. The original study made use of a mechanically braked cycle ergometer.

As for frequency:

Subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. (quoted from the original study)

Therefore, any deviation from these parameters is no longer a true replication of the original study. Furthermore, the Tabata case is just one of many interval based (peer reviewed) studies. There are additional studies with equally impressive results (using different parameters than those defined by Dr. Tabata).

As for applying the Tabata protocol to other strength-endurance related exercises, the focus of the session most definitely changes. There is no denying this simple fact. There are strength endurance benefits however. Training with pushups will cram a significant amount of pushups into a very short time period. The same is true for other movements such as bodyweight squats. I've seen many members here who previously worked with sets of several hundred (continuous) squats who were then fried when performing Tabata squats. Once again, use of such a session is a clear deviation from the original study. This does not mean that there aren't benefits however. The focus has simply changed. Strength endurance takes greater precedence.

Furthermore, many find the work-to-rest ratios convenient for self timing. Training for 20 on and 10 off is easy to do with even a basic digital clock. I'm sure that working for 17.2 seconds on and 7.4 seconds off would also be effective, but it wouldn't be very convenient.

Personally, I have no problem with variations, as long as the individual realizes that the variations do change the focus of the session (ie. know what you are doing, and why you are doing it).

Ross

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:33 am 

Steve C wrote:

HA! Did the same! And had the same result!
Faust

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:23 pm 

Faust wrote:
Steve C wrote:

HA! Did the same! And had the same result!
Faust

Can't wait to do it again next week. :mozilla_cool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning