Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: busted knee (or am i over-reacting? ;))
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:08 pm 

hey guys i dont know if its in the right forum, but...
i think i busted up my knee a little. was wondering if u guys have gotten this b4?

well i was at my muay thai gym yesterday training, and we were doing a circuit, throwing combinations at the heavy bags that were lined up all along the sides of the gym. now when it was time to throw a front kick at the bags, i made a little mistake. the person in front of me had already kicked the bag, so the bag was swinging a little. now this was a rear front kick, and im pretty strong at those. so i threw the kick hard, and while i was throwing the kick, the bag swung back and i missed completely. now as u can imagine, it is equivalent of my throwing the kick hard at the air. what happened was my leg extended completely, fast and HARD, thus almost making my knee snap.
for those who cant get the picture, imagine this: bend ur right arm across ur chest, so that ur forearm is facing the chest. now swing ur hand hard to extend it. feel the strain in ur elbow joint? well, that was nothing compared to what i felt in my knee.

so anyways, i couldnt put pressure on it for a while, but after a couple of minutes i was perfectly fine, so i went on with the class which included: roundhouse kicks, knees, jumping knees, etc. and didnt have a problem.....

until today.

today, whenever i bend my knee completely, i feel pain. its annoying. when im sitting down, my knees are bent. after 10 mins or so, when i accidently stand up fast (put pressure) my knee urts like a bugger and i have to quickly take the pressure off.

i know i didnt tear or dislocate anything, coz then i would'nt have been able to go on with the class yesterday. so what is it? just a strain? can i resume muay thai tomorow?

appreciate the help ;)

Post subject: Re: busted knee (or am i over-reacting? ;))
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:05 pm 

Ash J wrote:
i know i didnt tear or dislocate anything, coz then i would'nt have been able to go on with the class yesterday. so what is it? just a strain? can i resume muay thai tomorow?

At the end of the day it is impossible to make a diagnosis over the internet.

All you can do is rest up, eat well, maybe use a compressive support to increase local blood flow, contrast showers, etc and see how you are tomorrow. If there's no signs of improvement after a week or so go and harass your doctor.

Ash J wrote:
today, whenever i bend my knee completely, i feel pain. its annoying. when im sitting down, my knees are bent. after 10 mins or so, when i accidently stand up fast (put pressure) my knee urts like a bugger and i have to quickly take the pressure off.

You feel pain in response to doing damage to your body and/or aggravating existing injuries. If you're struggling to sit or even stand without feeling pain, I very much doubt you're going to be fit for a session tomorrow. There's a strong chance you're going to aggravate the injury further, possibly do further damage and/or inhibit the healing process.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:20 pm 

See a doctor.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 am 

alright, thnx for the replies guys.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning