Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shin pain on bony part right below knee
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 am 

It's been a month.

I still feel this pain just a little bit and it's more on everyday activities. It's so weird. I didn't feel it at all the other day jumping or running. I feel it occasionally when squatting but not much.

I've been foam rolling a lot, stretching and get ART sometimes. ART was most painful on my calves. Oh my God, I was sweating! Whew!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:03 pm 

bpc wrote:
It's been a month.

I still feel this pain just a little bit and it's more on everyday activities. It's so weird. I didn't feel it at all the other day jumping or running. I feel it occasionally when squatting but not much.

I've been foam rolling a lot, stretching and get ART sometimes. ART was most painful on my calves. Oh my God, I was sweating! Whew!

From the sounds of it, if you've been doing a lot of running, jumping, and squatting with the knees well ahead of the toes, then you've probably developed excessive tension in the quads, which will pull on the lower quad tendon, and therefore the patellar tendon.

The soreness at the tibial tuberosity that little bump under your knee) could be caused by microtears or fraying in the tendon. If you're noticing an increase in size of the tibial tuberosity, you might have developed osgood-schlatter's syndrome (irritation and calcification of the tib tuberosity from excessive tenson being placed on the tendon).

Stretch your quads regularly and avoid doing squats with your knees infront of your toes, or anything that uses the quads to a great extent.

Also, focus your attention to developing your posterior chain, especially your hamstrings and glutes. Doing so will help to reduce the stress on your knees and product them from the posterior aspect of the joint.

I wrote an article on glute weakness that you might find helpful in this case. http://resoluteperformance.com/articles ... r-amnesia/

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:19 pm 

Thanks for the response.

I've been foam rolling with my new extra firm foam roller/stretching everyday (everything: calves, quads, IT, hammies, etc) now for nearly a month. Before that I stretched a lot. When I squat I try to push my knees out, squat between my legs (ala Dan John) and barefoot. I've been doing a set of single leg glute bridges nearly everyday as well.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 pm 

bpc wrote:
Thanks for the response.

I've been foam rolling with my new extra firm foam roller/stretching everyday (everything: calves, quads, IT, hammies, etc) now for nearly a month. Before that I stretched a lot. When I squat I try to push my knees out, squat between my legs (ala Dan John) and barefoot. I've been doing a set of single leg glute bridges nearly everyday as well.

If your knee is still bothering you, I'd stop free squatting until it's gone. Perhaps work on box squats in which you can sit back past your shins being perpindicular to the floor, and work on activating your glutes/hamstrings to squat. It'll improve your posterior chain and give your knees a chance to recover.

Also, isolated work on your glutes/hams (such as the glute bridge you're doing) would go a long way as well.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm 

Thanks man. Makes sense.

Should I skip running and jumping? I don't really feel any pain while running and jumping.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 pm 

bpc wrote:
Thanks man. Makes sense.

Should I skip running and jumping? I don't really feel any pain while running and jumping.

Running and jumping can aggravate it. If it doesn't cause any pain though, then you might be alright.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:15 am 

Just did face the wall squats with my son. I can go all the way down w/out touching the wall with my feet/toes about an inch away from the wall. That style doesn't affect my knee at all.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:56 am 

Best article I've found yet:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4847546

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:27 pm 

Update:

Tried a set of goblet squats today and my knee hurt.

Face the wall squats unweighted didn't affect my knee at all.

I played pickup basketball today for first time in a month. No pain at all while playing but it does appear to hurt more now (after I played) than before. I've iced it twice and just foam rolled my entire lower body.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 pm 

When I do this ankle stretch/mobility it hurts:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport ... kle-sprain

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning