Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Back to lifting - too heavy?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:24 pm 

Hi guys... so, I spent the last 3 years driving a truck, and I'm ashamed to say I pretty much let myself go. I've been slamming 2-3 Amps a day for the last 2.5 years up until 3 days ago when I finally managed to quit cold turkey. I'm 35 years old, and I'm tired of the cycle of working hard only to let myself go, so I've decided to make physical fitness a lifetime commitment.

I started lifting again today with some snatches and clean and jerks using 80 lb dumbbells, and I noticed, especially when lowering the weight back to my shoulders, that the back of my elbows, I suppose where the triceps meets the elbow, was popping and experiencing some pain and strain. Do you think I'm starting to heavy? Instead of starting heavy should I go through a few weeks of light weights with higher repetitions to get my body used to the motions? The last thing I want to do is hurt myself and end up having to wait to get back in shape. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Back to lifting - too heavy?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 pm 

Kane wrote:
Hi guys... so, I spent the last 3 years driving a truck, and I'm ashamed to say I pretty much let myself go. I've been slamming 2-3 Amps a day for the last 2.5 years up until 3 days ago when I finally managed to quit cold turkey. I'm 35 years old, and I'm tired of the cycle of working hard only to let myself go, so I've decided to make physical fitness a lifetime commitment.

I started lifting again today with some snatches and clean and jerks using 80 lb dumbbells, and I noticed, especially when lowering the weight back to my shoulders, that the back of my elbows, I suppose where the triceps meets the elbow, was popping and experiencing some pain and strain. Do you think I'm starting to heavy? Instead of starting heavy should I go through a few weeks of light weights with higher repetitions to get my body used to the motions? The last thing I want to do is hurt myself and end up having to wait to get back in shape. Any help would be appreciated.

Goals for Summer 2012
187lbs
130kg Push Press
110kg Log Press
100kg Farmer's Walk
250kg Deadlift
25 One-Arm Press-ups
10 One-Arm Pull-ups
WIN A STRONGMAN COMPETITION!

MY LOG!!!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64275

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:19 pm 

dctopboots01 wrote:
Kane wrote:

That sounds way too heavy for someone who is out of conditition and making a return. It's impressive that you can even do it if you haven't worked out for years.

Start light, and give your joints and tendons plenty of time to strengthen. Be conservative at this stage, and don't feel the need to rush.

Also, make sure your form is spot on.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:49 am 

If you think it's too heavy, it probably is. It's better to start off too light than too heavy.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:32 am 

The first 12 weeks of lifting weights isn't about muscular development its about preparation. Injury prevention, redeveloping muscle memory, re establishing correct bar paths and muscle to muscle working together ness. Muscle coordination. Efficiency and form.

Build strength first you get injured.

Tendon, ligament, or hernias of the back, abs, or groin.
Some take months, some take weeks some take surgery to repair.

Pick a safer weight range and safe rep range for 12-16 weeks.

10 - 25 reps will provide your first state of assimilationist. Hypertrophy and tendon and ligament preparation.

Every strength progression you do while having skipped this important step is extra poundage testing the tinsel strength of bodily areas that haven't been prepared for progressive resistance training.

5 sets of 10 or 3 sets of 25 should give you hundreds of reps to safely practice correct form habits. The muscle you build in that amount of time should really appeal to your eye and make you feel happier with your body and if you were to do a good diet in that time then you can be feeling amazing about moving from preparation to strength focused goals.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:40 am 

Thanks Style, and the rest of you guys as well...

I guess I'll just have to start out light then. Now that I think about it, I've probably always gone from nothing to far as I can push it and usually end up injured, which is usually what leads to the long periods of inactivity. I've had a couple hernia operations before, and the pain has only gotten worse with each one, though I'm told I'm healed.

I'd love to run again like I did when I was in the Army, but I've had a bunion on my right foot for the past few years which makes even wearing running shoes or crosstrainers excrutiating. Walking moderate distances is also very painful. Me knees also feel like they are more prone to strain and injury from years of carrying my heavy ass around.

I have a tower of power in my room, but at an out of shape 285lbs I can barely manage one or two proper pullups at a time without kipping. I've got Ross's books and video but I'm so out of shape this time around it's hard to know where to start. Somewhere between doing nothing and pushing myself too hard, I suppose.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 am 

Kane wrote:
Thanks Style, and the rest of you guys as well...

I guess I'll just have to start out light then. Now that I think about it, I've probably always gone from nothing to far as I can push it and usually end up injured, which is usually what leads to the long periods of inactivity. I've had a couple hernia operations before, and the pain has only gotten worse with each one, though I'm told I'm healed.

I'd love to run again like I did when I was in the Army, but I've had a bunion on my right foot for the past few years which makes even wearing running shoes or crosstrainers excrutiating. Walking moderate distances is also very painful. Me knees also feel like they are more prone to strain and injury from years of carrying my heavy ass around.

I have a tower of power in my room, but at an out of shape 285lbs I can barely manage one or two proper pullups at a time without kipping. I've got Ross's books and video but I'm so out of shape this time around it's hard to know where to start. Somewhere between doing nothing and pushing myself too hard, I suppose.

Just keep at it. When the progress starts coming, you will gain momentum and you'll be on a positive upward spiral.

One thing that I would suggest for just starting out again is full body circuits. They are great for getting the body primed for serious work and will burn a sh*t ton of calories. Consider doing a few full body circuits a week. Just a thought...

also, some mobility work will do wonders for you. I don't know about your specific aches and pains, but the book "Pain Free" can explain how our bodies get misaligned and cause pain. Or just google Mobility WOD. That guy has some great stuff. 10-15 minutes a day will make a big difference.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:07 am 

Lets face it. You're and out of shape man who became a fat guy. its expected of a trucker. You sit on your ass all day navigating the traffic, the roads, the loads, and the radio. Dow hat you can make it a habitual lifestyle and pace yourself.

Are you no longer driving

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:03 am 

I'm not driving any more, though that may change if I cannot find a job doing something else. They ran us so ragged that my body eventually said no more. Five times in five weeks I simply could not wake up to my alarm, whether I'd slept four hours or fourteen. I tried several different alarms, but nothing helped. I ended up going on a medical leave to get checked out, but didn't go back. Being a truck driver pretty much consumes all of you; your time, your energy, hell, your life. I'd either work two weeks on with a two "day" break or one week with a day off, but even on my days off I was just running around getting ready to go back out. Some guys stay out even longer; weeks or months, but that never interested me.

I want to work a local job, where I can cook in my own kitchen, train martial arts again, have a life. So that's what I'm doing now, looking for a job.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:12 am 

there should be day time straight truck jobs available, also there should be other related shit sadly its a step down. Like running the fork lifts at a hub. I went from being a box truck over the road driver to eventually becoming a tractor trailer washer like at a car wash. Then was like wtf. This class of people isn't for me. Became a driver and things were good until i got hurt. I do appreciate what you mean by using your time off to simply prepare to go back to work.

Monster jobs and career builders send me opportunities every week or every month with things related to cdl. You can set that up for free subscription and get the details in an email and you might have something all in your lap.

Tech school for adults at night. If you aren't working you should be learning. If you aren't learning to earn learn to either enjoy or to have more practical skills. Home owner heating repairs, auto tune up course, even silly online shit like how to operate a blog or how to start a global thermal neucular war like the kid in war games. You'll get a career skill, a cert, you'll get something for your time out of work and its both enjoyable and productive.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning