Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Re: One hundred push ups/200 squats/20 pull ups programs
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm 

Listen Im to damn old, too damn tired and too damned smart to pick internet forum fights. Especially here. So I wont say I dont believe you about going from 2 to 22 pullups in 6 weeks, Ill say I doubt it, thats VERY RARE if true, and if it is I truely give you props. Let it be known by a guy (me) who has gone through multiple cycles and variations of Armstrong, Recon Ron, with GTG, Ladders, FULL five day work liads 100+ pushups in difficult variations a day, those are nothing short or SPECTACULAR gains. Again almost hard to believe but ill give you benifit of the doubt. Of course I am discussing a single max set here not cumulative as then that would seem far more rational.

There is nothing wrong with cranking out these large numbers but as we discuss on this forum time and time again...what are your goals. Mix up the 100 pushups with days of incline tricep and depth or ployo. Being awesome at one strength feat like max or endurance only lasts as a challenge and as a succeeded gial for so long. Why not advance at them all together?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:07 pm 

To the original poster, I used all three of these programs a few years back to prep for the Navy SEAL Fitness Challenge, which tested all three and a rope climb. I didn't achieve the promised results, but the program kept me motivated and working hard every day. And I happened to do pretty well in the competition, too, but I wasn't starting from nowhere, either.

In 6 weeks I probably increased my numbers by 30 to 40 percent.

Who knows if I could have done better on some other program.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:56 pm 

Box4Life wrote:
Listen Im to damn old, too damn tired and too damned smart to pick internet forum fights. Especially here. So I wont say I dont believe you about going from 2 to 22 pullups in 6 weeks, Ill say I doubt it, thats VERY RARE if true, and if it is I truely give you props. Let it be known by a guy (me) who has gone through multiple cycles and variations of Armstrong, Recon Ron, with GTG, Ladders, FULL five day work liads 100+ pushups in difficult variations a day, those are nothing short or SPECTACULAR gains. Again almost hard to believe but ill give you benifit of the doubt. Of course I am discussing a single max set here not cumulative as then that would seem far more rational.

There is nothing wrong with cranking out these large numbers but as we discuss on this forum time and time again...what are your goals. Mix up the 100 pushups with days of incline tricep and depth or ployo. Being awesome at one strength feat like max or endurance only lasts as a challenge and as a succeeded gial for so long. Why not advance at them all together?

I do want to advance at them all. My overall goal is all round fitness. My thinking is that if i do these programs it'll give me a good base to start Max. and explosive strength training.

Thanks for all the replies gents!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 am 

Building a base is the way to go. But a base for what?

I have done the Armstrong program at least 5 times, not five weeks, I means five times for about 2-3 months each time. I know the program well. I have also tried the others several times.

These programs are often over rated in terms of promised results however they will each help you improve drastically.

2-22 pullups in 6 weeks? I highly doubt it! (at least in one set). That's not to say it didn't happen but those are gains I would NOT expect. No where close. Maybe get to low-mid teens in that time if your diligent. A lot also depends on your additional work. Doing rows, dips, etc will drastically increase your strength. Just don't overdo it. A muscle endurance base is not the base you need for strength. And vice versa.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:00 am 

Armstrong program is a great way to grease the groove and Recon Ron is good to get the body used to the numbers also.

Pullups,push ups and dips were our staples in the marine corps.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:08 am 

Box4Life wrote:
Building a base is the way to go. But a base for what?

I have done the Armstrong program at least 5 times, not five weeks, I means five times for about 2-3 months each time. I know the program well. I have also tried the others several times.

These programs are often over rated in terms of promised results however they will each help you improve drastically.

2-22 pullups in 6 weeks? I highly doubt it! (at least in one set). That's not to say it didn't happen but those are gains I would NOT expect. No where close. Maybe get to low-mid teens in that time if your diligent. A lot also depends on your additional work. Doing rows, dips, etc will drastically increase your strength. Just don't overdo it. A muscle endurance base is not the base you need for strength. And vice versa.

You can doubt it all you want, I know what I did. I don't have the time or energy to argue on the internet about it. Of course, I was also doing Starting Strength and getting my "newbie gains" in at the time, so obviously that had a part in it. And yes, it was 1 set of 22 in a row. After that, I switched to weighted pullups and worked those.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:55 am 

^^46 and 2 I believe you, that is attainable with consistent effort. I have been doing pull ups regularly for months as well as push ups and my numbers are high.

46and2 is that from the TOOL song? ..."46and2 is just ahead of me"....

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:56 am 

finnegan wrote:
^^46 and 2 I believe you, that is attainable with consistent effort. I have been doing pull ups regularly for months as well as push ups and my numbers are high.

46and2 is that from the TOOL song? ..."46and2 is just ahead of me"....

Hey yeah, I am a huge fan of the band. One of my favorite songs and I just thought it was a cool name.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:42 am 

46and2 wrote:
I went from 2 to 22 pullups using the 20 pullup program in 6 weeks.

where, on the moon?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:32 am 

I dont understand why guys are having a hard time believing he went from 2 to 22. I saw guys in boot camp in the marines go from 4 to banging out 25 in around the same time.

46and 2 congrats and keep it up and lets hope Maynard and the boys release something new soon.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning