Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post subject: krav maga
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:58 pm 

Anyone here ever tried krav maga? Know anything about it that I can't read on Wikipedia? A gym nearby offers night classes so I was thinking of giving it a shot. Obviously I'll learn much of what I need to know by showing up and taking a class, but if anyone has any impressions I'm game to hear them.

I'm interested in learning how to fight to defend myself and my family. That is all. I'm not interested in competitions or belts.

Post subject: Re: krav maga
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:32 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44316

Post subject: Re: krav maga
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:31 am 

I have been training in Krav Maga for just over 2 years. I believe, when taught properly, it is an amazing form of self defense for anyone and everyone. It is highly functional and adaptive to various situations.

Many discuss it as a marketing scam, depending on the instructor(s) and school(s), this may be true. Many instructors have opened McDojos for Krav Maga and teach nothing more than lousy forms of modified martial arts moves.

However, legit, experienced Krav Maga instructors teach effective, brutal techniques derived from various other martial arts and then further modified for different situations.

My instructors have all served in different units of the Israeli Defense Forces and 2 of the 3 of them were KM instructors for the IDF at Wingate.

Having trained in Israel as well, I can admit many forms of the art are, at best, slightly 'watered down' in places outside Israel, often to stay within the legal limits of force allowed in defending oneself in that country. In Israel, it is very different as their situation is obviously different.

How would you determine if these nearby classes aren't McDojos?
I guess there is no real way except for asking the instructors about their KM experience and also, probably most importantly, gut instinct.
Try a class or two and really, really ponder if the techniques you learn in that small time seem effective and possible to execute. If you have any 'What if an attacker did this or that' kind of questions (be reasonable), ask them. If the instructor can't answer them or isn't bothered to answer them, I would say they aren't to fluent in the art.

By 'reasonable' questions I mean realistic questions.
We had a student dismiss Krav Maga as "absolute crap" because he asked
"What if an attacker came from the back and stabs you? You can't see him so how do we defend that?"
My instructor's answer was simple and truthful.
"Well, then, you get stabbed. But the aim would be to react and defend as quickly as possible after the initial stabbings. Krav Maga doesn't put eyes in the back of our head."
The student openly said it is absolute crap and a worthless art.

Also, the instructor should include lots of variety in their training sessions. Sure, in my classes, we focus heavily on technique but we also mix things up.
For example, one day we may absolutely train our asses off with pushups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, sprints, etc until we are fatigued, sore and feel like throwing up AND THEN we will train in technique.
Another example is sometimes we train when the floor has been cluttered with things like focus mats, piles of gym towels, sticks, piles of gym mats, etc. We do this to learn how to train in places where there may be many obstacles to train around. You may have to fight in a crowded street or a location where there are many objects that can be used as weapons but also pose hazards as you may fall over them and stuff. Great for teaching awareness around you when fighting.
And finally, in advanced classes, the instructors have brought in strobe lights and smoke machines to greatly decrease visibility and made us fight/train in these type of conditions.

Good luck brah. Let us know how you go.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics