Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Recipe Sticky
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:02 pm 

taco seasoning or chili

chili powder 1 tablespoon
garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon
onion powder 1/4 teaspoon
red pepper flakes 1/4 teaspoon
oregano 1/4 teaspoon
paprika 1/2 teaspoon
ground cumin 1 1/2 teaspoon
sea salt 1 teaspoon
black pepper 1 teaspoon

this makes about 3 tablespoons of seasoning which is good for 1lbs of beef

i made some burritos this week with it and its got a nice kick and i think its better then the packaged stuff plus its way cheeper (assuming you have all the spices on hand which i did) i mixed it in with lean beef (boil in water and drain to remove more fat) added portabella mushrooms, about a 1/4 can of black beans and a 1/4 can of red beans and 2/3 cup of brown rice. put on a whole grain tortilla shell with non fat mozzarella cheese...it was awesome

got the recipe from here for the burritos and changed a few things and got the recipe for the seasoning from this site http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seaso ... etail.aspx you can actually put in the serving size you want and it will do the math for you...site has other good stuff in there as well

"your no daisy...your no daisy at all"

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:01 pm 

madmike wrote:
i think its better then the packaged stuff plus its way cheeper

absolutely. the packaged stuff usually has lots of filler, preservatives, and oftentimes MSG as well.

here's the ingredients for lawry's taco seasoning. you're definitely doing better!

Spices [Paprika, Cumin, Oregano, Chili Pepper, Tabasco Brand Dry Seasonings (Aged Red Pepper)], Salt, Onion, Lactose, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Citric Acid, Red Bell Pepper, Cocoa Powder and Vinegar Powder.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm 

HOME MADE TORTILLA/WRAP RECIPE

4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp olive oil (or less) it actually calls for shortening but shortening is bad bad bad!!
1 1/2 cups warm water

Blend dry ingredients in large bowl then slowly mix in the water and oil. Do not over knead the dough. Form into a ball.

Take approximately 1/4 cup amount of dough and roll it as thin as desired with rolling pin. We prefer ours as thin as possible. Use a lot of flour to make sure nothing sticks. When you have a nice thin amount of dough, place a plate of any size on top and cut a circle using the plate as a guide. I find that the bigger you make them the better, just for the purpose of stuffing as much yummy stuff in them as u want to later.

Next place the tortilla in a hot non stick frying pan for a few minutes on one side then flip and finish the other side. They cook up real fast and there is no need for oil. Remove from pan and place into a large zip lock bag as soon as they are cool enough to handle.

The above recipe makes between 8 and 10 tortillas depending on how big you want them and how wasteful you are. When you cut the circles you will have extra pieces left over. You can roll them up again but the dough tends to become pretty tough. We usually discard the remains or let the kids play with it. The more you make them the better you will get at not wasting the dough.

I imagine one could add 1/4 cup 12 grain mix or something like that to make it more multi grain. It is easier than I thought it would be but is still a big job. Usually my wife and I do this as a team to make it faster. Anyhow, give it a try. They are tasty!

****Final note: Obviously if you use more oil they tend to taste better and have a nicer texture but we have made them with no oil at all and they are still pretty damn good. You decide how much you want to sacrifice and see what suits you best.

nate's facebook
nate's latest dj mix

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 pm 

Made this for my girlfriend last week(I used lamb steaks, not backstrap). Goes down a treat!

Mediterranean Lamb Salad Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
• olive oil cooking spray
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
• pinch caster sugar
• 150g green beans, trimmed, halved diagonally
• 550g lamb backstrap
• 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
• Baby spinach
• 1 avocado
• Tzatziki Dip
Method
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a roasting pan with baking paper. Place tomatoes, cut side up, in pan. Spray lightly with oil. Roast for 10 minutes or until just tender. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, combine 1 tablespoon lemon juice, oil, garlic, mustard and sugar in a small screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake to combine.
3. Place beans in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 3 minutes. Drain. Refresh in cold water. Pat dry with paper towel.
4. Lightly spray a heavy-based frying pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Cook lamb for 4 to 5 minutes each side for medium. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and stand for 5 minutes.
5. Combine tomatoes, beans, onion, and spinach in a large bowl. Cut avocado into 2cm cubes. Add to salad. Drizzle with dressing. Toss gently to coat. Arrange salad on plates. Slice lamb and place over salad. Season with pepper and Tzatiki dip to taste Serve.

"No fear, no distractions"

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:32 pm 

Plastik's Tuna Melt

-1/2 to full can of tuna
-1/2 avocado
-TBSP Salsa
-handful of spinach
-your favorite whole grain bread (I use home made 8 grain flax)

1.Quickly heat tuna with salsa just enough to warm
2.Place on bread
3.Top with avocado slices and spinach leaves
4.Finish with another piece of bread. Grill it on your Foreman grill or toast in toaster oven.

No big secrets here. Just a nice way to not add the extra shit that comes in mayo these days. The salsa makes the tuna nice and moist while giving it a nice kick as well. The avocado gives it a beautiful smoothness while the spinach gives it a nice crunchy texture, unless you grill it too long of course.

nate's facebook
nate's latest dj mix

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:24 pm 

i just got a kim chi/sauerkraut maker. my first batch came out freakin' awesome. look out world!

jennifer's amazing kim chi soup

6 cups water
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced shitake mushrooms (if dried, soak first and drain soak water)
1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini (i have a spiralizer, and make zucchini noodles)
1/2 cup sliced onions
1/2 cup of coarsely chopped celery
5 sprigs cilantro
2 cloves garlic, slivered or pressed
2 cups kim chi
1/2 T grated ginger
juice of half a lemon
3T miso paste (i like yellow or white miso, or my new revelation: garbanzo bean miso!)
chili flakes to taste (i use chile pequin)

optional: noodles

saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent. add water, cilantro, and carrots - simmer until carrots are soft. add zucchini and mushrooms and kim chi. simmer for a few more minutes. add everything else just before serving.

it helps to reconstitute the miso in about a cup of broth before adding it back to the main soup. its easier to get all the chunks out this way.

i'm a kim chi freak. i love the stuff! i bring this soup to dinner parties a lot, to rave reviews. my daughter likes a nonspicy version of it with soba noodles for breakfast, or anytime really. soup for breakfast is something i picked up on since living in hawaii, a lot of asians eat soup for breakfast, and it feels really good and nourishing and is a great alternative to the heavy, greasy and/or carb laden breakfast fare i was raised on.

i make a raw version of this soup for myself.

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 pm 

Steffen K wrote:
Ketchup

12 cocktail- or plum tomatoes
1 banana
Juice from 1 orange
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp applecider vinegar
10 whole cloves
Salt

Coarsely chop tomatoes and banana, bring to boil in a pot, and cook at low heat. Remember to stir so it doesn't burn.
Roast cloves on a dry pan, then pound in a mortar (or use a coffee grinder) and add to the pot.
Let it all cool down at least to where you can keep a finger in it without any discomfort. Then add oil and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and, if you want, pepper.

You can blend it to make it more smooth and even.

Mixture should keep for at least a week in the refrigerator.

omg, i just found this last night and tried it.. a banana! genius!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:26 pm 

This is a good recipe for people pressed for time or who hate cooking:

1 sliced chicken breast(I just use leftovers when I have them)
1-2 cups fresh spinach
1 sliced avocado

Bam! You're done. Enjoy :mozilla_smile:

I almost feel stupid posting something so simple but I just ate this and it's so delicious I had to share. You could easily add some flare in the form of tomatoes, carrots, etc. Or put on your favorite dressing.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:56 pm 

Oatmeal Whole Wheat (No Rise) Bread

2 Cups Old-Fashioned Oats
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
4 Tsps. Baking Powder
1 Tsps. Salt
3 Tbs. Honey
2 Tbs. Vegetable Oil
2 Cups Milk
Nuts or seeds optional

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, combine oatmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine honey, vegetable oil and milk. Combine both mixtures and stir until combined well (a runny dough). Spoon dough into a greased 5x9 bread pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until lightly golden.

This makes a very dense, moist bread. It's a little crumbly so not suitable for sandwiches. When I made this it kept moist and (to all appearances) fresh for a week before I gave the rest to some geese.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:57 pm 

Here's my breakfast smoothie recipe. I posted this on Ross' old board years ago.
I have several versions based on the main recipe.

Main recipe:
- fruit(apples, bananas, pineapple, pears, berries or whatever)
- nuts and/or seeds(a few almonds, brazil nuts and/or sunflower seeds)
- about 2-3 cups of water
- a piece of fresh ginger
- oats
- a piece of cinnamon bark
- a teaspoon of cumin powder
- 2-3 green cardamom pods

Blend it to a smoothie.

1) Vegan Smoothie stays like it is, except with maybe some maple syrup.

2) Veggie Smoothie has a cup of plain yogurt added and some honey.

3) Raw egg Smoothie has 3 raw eggs added to it and maybe some honey and plain yogurt.

4) Paleo Smoothie has raw eggs but no grains

5) Inca Smoothie has qunioa or amaranth flakes instead of oats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation