Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 am 

Sorry, but such comparisons are nonsense. You just can't compare such things. Or would you agree that a kettlebell made of iron is actually cheap if you compare with ketlebell made of gold?

Concerning the topic: I agree they are expansive. But I also think it is a good tool. They can be very usefull. But there is more than one way to train.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 am 

Sure I can compare such things. Most of the things I listed (almonds, walnuts, blueberries) are things people on this forum eat on a regular basis. I know I do. Why do we eat them if they cost “so much?” It is because we have determined that the benefit/enjoyment of consuming these things compared to their cost is worth it to us. So, this comparison shows that people place their own value on things, which is not necessarily equal to their actual monetary value. I am confident that there are members on this forum who feel kettlebells are too expensive to buy and have for many years to come, but have no problem consuming almonds on a daily basis at $10/lb with nothing left to show for it.

Cost does not dictate value.

Phil

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:45 pm 
filboid studge wrote:
Sure I can compare such things. Most of the things I listed (almonds, walnuts, blueberries) are things people on this forum eat on a regular basis. I know I do. Why do we eat them if they cost “so much?” It is because we have determined that the benefit/enjoyment of consuming these things compared to their cost is worth it to us. So, this comparison shows that people place their own value on things, which is not necessarily equal to their actual monetary value. I am confident that there are members on this forum who feel kettlebells are too expensive to buy and have for many years to come, but have no problem consuming almonds on a daily basis at $10/lb with nothing left to show for it.

Cost does not dictate value.

Phil

Spot on.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:04 pm 

buffguy wrote:
i think they are just weights(although effective)

That's a very simplistic view though. They offer different benefits than the closest alternative dumbbells. They are much easier to use for certain dynamic movements and the thick handles offer a good grip workout also. Certain exercises are much better with kettlebells, such as renegade rows, but dumbbells are better for most pressing exercises. I prefer snatches with the kettlebell personally.

It's horses for courses, but I agree that they are very expensive. However, as someone rightly said, you will see the prices drop over the coming years as their popularity means higher mass production.

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewt ... 856#256856

Post subject: kettlebells way overrated
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:49 pm 

kettlebells suffer from marketing hype... there are some VERY slick businesspeople out there who know the key buzzwords to pitch a product. that being said, at least the tool is available in the USA now for someone who can cough up the $$ for them.
that being said, i use the things in addition to other resistance. they are fun, and different items prevent boredom for me, which prevents lapses in training, which therefore keeps me consistent over all and allows me mix up training without feeling stagnant.
out here on the west coast, Play It Again Sports sells them for a decent price, because people buy them, and then hate them and get rid of them at a fraction of their original cost.... if you are out on the west coast, try them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:43 am 

I make no bones about the fact that I'm a fan of KBs, but ultimately they are a tool, and the mode of use is far more important than the tool. They do provide different stimuli and DBs, no better nor worse.
Sadly the marketing people seem to have got hold of KBs as a fitness fad, and as such there's a lot of BS and money attached to them, which is unnsecessary.
JMHO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:28 pm 

Anyone wanting a kettlebell at a cheaper cost, check craigslist. I sometimes check other nearby cities like Charlotte and Atlanta and I have seen them as cheap as $1 per pound. Since they are pretty damn hard to break and a great tool, thats a good price.

That being said, I just bought 2 from Christians Fitness Factory and was very pleased with their service. As soon as I placed my order, the guy himself (Christian) called me and asked if I preferred 1 brand over another and I told him, if there wasnt a big difference no and why?
He told me he could save me like 3 bucks per kettlebell if I went with Cap brand instead of Troy. I said, ok. I had also ordered a tricep rope for a friend who does bodybuilding. He asked if I mind that he put in in one of the boxes w/ a kettlebell. I said no, why? He said if he shipped it separate, he would have to charge me another $10. They guy called me to help me save $16??? Crazy...he must have went to the Ross school of customer service!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:51 pm 

Regarding the original post:

Kettlebells overated? No, just over priced.

I recently bought a Kettlebell and my hip strength/explosiveness has gone up along with big increases in shoulder and back strength.

I too thought KBs were overrated until I bought one. Because the weight placement is different than dumbbells it challenges your body in new ways and in ways DBs can't. Sure you can get by without them but why limit yourself to DBs. It's just another toy to have fun with.

The medium doesn't matter it's the work you put in.

If it works, use it.

My only beef was the ridiculous price. 24KG of iron with shipping cost me: $130 Canadian. :x

However this wasn't a surprise. I wanted one so I coughed up the loot.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Here are a few thoughts regarding kettlebells...

I have a few at my gym, but I almost never use them. Personally, I prefer using heavy dumbbells. It's my personal preference. I do have some guys however who enjoy using the k-bells (not exclusively, but to mix things up with a movement here and there), so I picked up a few to have on hand.

With that said, there are plenty of people in the world who thoroughly enjoy kettlebells. Sure, they are working hard, but it's "fun" work to them. I equate hitting the heavy bag in a similar way. I could hit the bag for 10 rounds and enjoy every minute of it. It's not working out to me. It's fun. I've been around boxing for most of my life, so bag work is something that I enjoy. Sure, there are physical benefits, but I don't hit the bag for these benefits.

When you enjoy using a particular tool/exercise, you tend to use it more passionately. It's only natural that such passionate/energized work leads to positive results. I’ve spoken to some people who are truly passionate about their kettlebells. More power to them. It’s all good.

I do have a problem however when someone from the kettlebell group comes out and tries to bash another form of training (simply because it is not kettlebell based). Fortunately, most kettlebell trainers do not fall into this category. I’ve met some great trainers who are heavily involved in kettlebell training/teaching. They are hard working people who are open to almost any form of training (they just happen to enjoy/prefer k-bells, just as I enjoy/prefer other methods). I do however receive loads of email from all sorts of people. Just the other day I had someone email me about how he enjoyed the site, but was quick to point out that he could show me some “real” hardcore training with kettlebells (implying that what I do with my athletes is not officially hardcore if we aren’t using his kettlebell routines).

That’s where I draw the line. I’m all for finding “your” way, but don’t be ignorant and believe that you can’t train with intensity without the k-bells. When I receive emails like that, I really wish the sender would pop into my gym to get a taste for how we do things. There are some things in life that you can’t appreciate until you’ve experienced it firsthand.

In addition, let’s not all forget that there is an entire industry built around the kettlebell. People spend hundreds of dollars getting certified with this tool. It is in their interest (financially) to get others interested in kettlebells. It’s a beautiful business model actually.

Such a model doesn’t exist with “basic” tools such as dumbbells. There are not dumbbell certification courses, so there isn’t such a large group trying to defend the tool. I don’t have any allegiance to dumbbells. I didn’t pay anyone to become dumbbell certified. I just happen to enjoy/prefer dumbbells in many ways (when compared to many other tools).

Personal preference shouldn’t be ignored, and should be respected by others (ie. don’t knock someone else who does things differently than you).

Ross

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:14 pm 

Well, I think Ross said it best, but I will put in my 2 cents worth since this comes up a lot and I train mostly with kettlebells. I think you need to understand expense and value. I think less than two hundred dollars for a weight that I will use forever hundreds of thousands of times, then can leave to my grandkids to use forever, is a pretty good deal. If you buy a kettlebell and it just sits there, then it was an expensive waste of money. Is it expensive compared to the material it's made of? Yes. Is one of Ross's books expensive for paper bound together? Yes. But what makes Ross's book valuable is the information contained in it. I feel that Ross undercharges for his products, severely. But either way he deserves to get paid and make profit, not for the cost of the book, but for the years of training and research that go into writing a book. DragonDoor may charge a lot (in your opinion) for kettlebells, but they took a huge risk in opening up this market. It could have been a giant failure. They deserve to be rewarded and make profit for the money, risk, and the experience that goes into starting a whole new fitness trend. When you buy a car or a computer, you don't really think you are only paying the cost for the materials, right? We all know that 50lbs of iron is cheap, but you're not buying the iron. Also, Ross was right on the money. I hate lifting weights, but I enjoy kettlebell training. It doesn't feel like working out to me. So to me, they are a bargain because I use them, they last forever, and I enjoy using them. Same reason I buy Ross's stuff. Anyway, just my opinion.

Jon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning