Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post subject: Re: Wing chun for flight attendants?
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 am 

I was about to post a reply but Jesse stole the words right out of my mouth.

The problem also seems to be litigation (at least in my view). While HK Airlines wants to give some level of defensive training to their flight attendants, they don't want to teach them something like Krav Maga or Sanshou, only to have a passenger sue them later on for excessive use of force.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:23 am 

Not to derail the thread, but U.S. Sky Marshall training was (is?) pretty cool, with lots of emphasis on immediate threat stoppage, improvised weapons, and how to preempt a problem with as much extreme prejudice as the Marshall can bring to bear.

From what I hear, the actual job got so boring that it no longer attracts the high speed guys and so has degraded a bit.

For the stewardesses, give each of them a taser. :dance:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:05 am 

Quote:
__ng __un could better iron out its own issues if they actually hit each other in the face every once in a while.

Classic. And true. As mentioned, there are a few good schools that do. But I bet the airlines don't.

Quote:
IMO the only sport that well carries over into self defence is western boxing.

Have to disagree. Judo carries over, because it covers standing to ground. Does need to be supplemented with a striking art though (atemi-waza is just lip service). "Restraint" can be as gentle as prolonged pin, or severe as being choked to death. Chokes and submissions can be achieved both on the ground and standing. I'm sure the same is true of Sambo too, but I am less familiar with that.

The "sport" rules do carry a penalty in creativity and flexibility of options, but I believe the full out practice of randori and shiai, like sparring and fights in boxing, carry a benefit that outweighs the negative.

Basically I think a modicum of training in any sport combat art, because of the need for going full force, dealing with adversity and pain, and perservering despite, gives an advantage in a non-sport situation. Maybe not for someone who has trained extensively for street fighting, but certainly over the average Joe.

I'm not suggesting Judo for the airline stewardesses though. For one thing, they'd have to cut their pretty manicured nails.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:28 pm 

Drjones wrote:
Basically I think a modicum of training in any sport combat art, because of the need for going full force, dealing with adversity and pain, and persevering despite, gives an advantage in a non-sport situation. Maybe not for someone who has trained extensively for street fighting, but certainly over the average Joe.

I'm not suggesting Judo for the airline stewardesses though. For one thing, they'd have to cut their pretty manicured nails.

I would like to add that sparring and sport fighting is a great way to pressure test certain skills and techniques so that they can be executed quickly under stress (regardless of whether they're for combat or sports). Sport training certainly has its uses, especially since you go full force. It's even better when self-defense drills are stacked on top of those as well so you know how to react in a sudden, violent confrontation.

The best thing to do is to train hard, train with contact, train at all ranges of combat and to train often.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 am 

The problem with that is that we're not dealing with career martial artists or ring fighters. Flight attendants both need the ability to deal with violent people in the air without backup and they need to learn it quickly. These people are not devoting years of training. Combatives training will not only give them the basics, but it will also pressure test them. It's designed to be taught to busy people (soldiers) who have to spend phenomenal amounts of time learning other things. I got into combatives myself simply because I am not and cannot be a "martial artist". I just don't have the time. I'm not lazy...I just legitimately have too many other things that I'm doing. They're in the same boat.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:59 pm 

^ Good point!

Train congruently! (not much of a catchphrase but a great concept)
http://www.youtube.com/user/CongruentExercise/videos

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:47 pm 

Jesse wrote:
The problem with that is that we're not dealing with career martial artists or ring fighters. Flight attendants both need the ability to deal with violent people in the air without backup and they need to learn it quickly. These people are not devoting years of training. Combatives training will not only give them the basics, but it will also pressure test them. It's designed to be taught to busy people (soldiers) who have to spend phenomenal amounts of time learning other things. I got into combatives myself simply because I am not and cannot be a "martial artist". I just don't have the time. I'm not lazy...I just legitimately have too many other things that I'm doing. They're in the same boat.

I've seen you on TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8oJ0oEN70

And here's a phone video of some doof training to be a stewardess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJO6Uhsg ... er&list=UL

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 am 

Paladin wrote:

:mozilla_oops: I told them not to put the clip about the kayak in there. I didn't think anyone would believe it.

And that is one huge plane, Chris. I just can't imagine you fitting into the uniforms. I guess you could pretend the skirt is a kilt.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics