Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post subject: Which one for real situations?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:44 am 

Evening all

I'm soon going into a role (military based) which will on the odd occassion require dealing with criminals or the odd aggressive person. The service i'm in doesn't do any self-defence training except for a few basic drills as far as I can see, so i'm thinking of taking up something. Not to beat shit out of people, more like to protect myself on that odd occassion that may never come up but possibly could.

I was looking at Krav Maga, any thoughts on this or other suggestions? I would love to hear from anyone who does it. I haven't fight trained since I was a kid but do strength and conditioning training often and hard, so I'm also not really interested in going somewhere and doing endless push-ups and sit-ups. Do some schools have a habit of going down this road? I suppose this i'll just have to check out myself.

Any suggestions or sites to check out much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Which one for real situations?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:42 am 

I vote for Judo. Throwing people on the concrete can help convince them to stop, or at least give you time to run/draw your weapon/whatever.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:07 am 

Krav Maga is good but it really depends on the school and the instructor. Judo is good too. What area do live in?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:04 pm 

Krav is great. There's some other threads telling what to look for in a school and instructor.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:52 pm 

Judo for sure, but to really cover your bases you should combine it with striking like boxing or muay thai

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:51 pm 

Personally, I'd rather train in systems focused completely on street situations rather than systems originally for street competition that have become competition oriented or systems that are ring focused.

Yes, the skills do carry over to a large extent, but the mindset and tactics do NOT.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:07 pm 

I would go a "sport" system over a "street" system. Its hard to find a legit "street" system. At least with a sport you build confidence and skill using resisting opponents.

As for what systems, I would use boxing for striking (I dont think you really need to kick in the street) and either freestyle or greco roman wrestling for the ability to control. I haven't trained Judo, but I think wrestling is better for this as Judo you rely on gripping a gi. Most clothes would rip. That being said, you would be at a huge advantage in a fight having the balance that judo teaches you.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:07 pm 

Again you're recommending sports for the street. You're getting skills but the tactics taught are counter productive and dangerous to use. The mindset is totally different. Legit street may be hard to find, but still valuable.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 pm 

Can't say I agree. As far as fighting unarmed against an armed attacker, no street technique is going to help you as much as having your own weapon would. It's good to know what to look for if you're facing someone who will have no hesitation biting your face or stomping out your knee, but as far as one vs one combat goes, I would take a proven striking art and become lethal with it.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:08 pm 

Shuruga wrote:
Can't say I agree. As far as fighting unarmed against an armed attacker, no street technique is going to help you as much as having your own weapon would. It's good to know what to look for if you're facing someone who will have no hesitation biting your face or stomping out your knee, but as far as one vs one combat goes, I would take a proven striking art and become lethal with it.

Which is why all of the competent street schools will quickly teach you the integration of knife, stick, and gun... Would you want to learn group tactics and warfare from a paintballer or a soldier? Would you want to learn combat flying from a stunt master or an F-16 veteran of the war in Iraq? There is a very real difference in the applications of skills and the mindset involved. You're missing this point.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics