Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post subject: Re: Cold Weather survival
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:13 pm 

It is not my site or story. I found it a few years ago and it helped me a lot at the time. I tend to use it to introduce people to some of those ideas because: he's a regular guy, he walks you through the clear philosophy behind it, and then he gives you clear checklists and ideas for how to implement it.

Also, I do not consider a firearm as something to stash in a car. I had a good talk with some Subject Matter Experts recently about it. A firearm should be something that is on you or travels with you, not really something that should be in your car as part of a survival kit. If you can afford a gun, then you can certainly afford the rest, and they are the things that will keep you warm, fed, and comfortable. There's really not one most important thing...you're providing against a number of possibilities.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:19 pm 

Thanks for posting it Jesse, I find the topic interesting and that website is great. I have always had an interest in survival matters but the whole "soldier of fortune, better buy gold cuz the gvnmnt is going down tomorrow" always turned me off.

BT I would argue that a firearm is the most important. If I am a bad guy and you dont have a gun I dont need to stock up on supplies, I just take yours, know what I mean?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:22 pm 

I'd say having one is vital...just not in a car survival kit that stays in the vehicle. I will always have one on me already. An additional firearm and more ammunition will be in a Bug Out Bag close by. More ammunition may be in the car kit, but not another firearm. A car isn't a really secure place unless I'm in it. I don't want the gun left there.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:45 pm 

When Irene was barreling down on the northeast I was in Boston. I had arrangements to stay with friends on Long Island instead of driving into Manhattan.

I drove back from Boston during the severe weather( stupid when I look back on it) and I remember thinking the whole time that this could easily,in a second turn into a life or death scenario (flash flood, disabled vehicle.) I had cash on me, full gas in the tank, some food in my suitcase and water. But that would have gone very quickly had their been massive electrical outages where I would have been stuck, cant take out money if no ATM operating.

Driving through CT and closer into the NYC area it turned more treacherous. An all together scary feeling driving across the bridge (no tolls, no traffic, no one around) wind screaming.

It wont happen again to me thats for sure.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 am 

I recognize that a car can become quite cold, because it's not insulated well, but it's still shelter from the wind. So long as you have some of the things Calgacus and others have mentioned you'll be fine. Just do NOT burn something in the car without a window cracked a bit.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 am 

Jesse wrote:
I recognize that a car can become quite cold, because it's not insulated well, but it's still shelter from the wind. So long as you have some of the things Calgacus and others have mentioned you'll be fine. Just do NOT burn something in the car without a window cracked a bit.

Jesse, you've got a great list, and Calgacus, great information as usual.

I've always got water, tools, MRE's, power bar-type snacks, flares, ropes, straps, sand, a shovel, extra mags for the gun(s), FAK, and lots of other junk that tends to accumulate in the back of my 4Runner. When traveling across mtn passes in the winter, as we inevitably do every Christmas, I'll be outfitted a lot like McGyver (I mean Jesse). :mozilla_tongue:

Out west here, it just makes sense. Big stretches of nothing but frozen forests and deserts, lots of places to slide off the road and down into a canyon, where you might not be found for a while if you're injured, for example.

I'm also trained in white-water rescue, and carry a throw rope and life jacket.

I have pulled folks out of a ditch, and helped stranded motorists on more than a few occasions. And sometimes you're in the middle of nowhere and the road's closed due to a semi truck jackknifing and turning over in the snow. You might be stuck for several hours in 10degf weather, and you need to be prepared.

IMO, the best survival tool for winter driving is a well maintained vehicle that has 4wd, or Fwd with studded tires all around and decent ground clearance.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:06 pm 

Oh, yeah, I have a 3000 lb rated tow strap. Those things are awesome.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:58 pm 

Good stuff there, James.

The conventional wisdom I've grown up with, and have been taught, says when in any doubt, stay with the vehicle. It is shelter against the weather, and will always be warmer inside than outside, if for no other reason than your breath itself will raise the temperature a bit. If you have a stub of a candle and a cracked window, you can be almost warm. Add a sleeping bag, some food, and a couple jugs of water, you can set in for a long time. Hang something bright on your antenna, honk your horn several times every 20 mins or so, and then, if you've been there a few days and there's no sign of rescue, AND you get a break in the weather, then maybe it's time to hoof it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:08 pm 

I'm going to get one of these for the car.

http://stores.thepathfinderschoolllc.co ... Detail.bok

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:46 am 

One of these days I want to pick up one or more of Canterbury's classes, but I'm preparing for urban environments, so I'm afraid it's way down my list. Yes, I do have a list. :P

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics