Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post subject: Re: Cold Weather survival
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 am 

We need a bag thread. Like a what's in your every day carry bag thread. With pictures. I might start it this weekend. I have to do a photo shoot with it first.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:21 am 

I don't care who starts it, I'd just like to have a few separate threads.

Car kit thread
BOB thread
Home Security and Preparedness - ie. photographing things for insurance purposes, fire alarms, extinguishers, fire safes etc...
Information Bag - kind of a bug out bag addition when you have fractionally more time - includes laptop, important files (work qualifications, diplomas, inventories), and irreplaceable things, etc...

These are all radically different

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:53 am 

Nice idea. That's a better way to keep it less confusing

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:32 pm 

Ok, here's a story. Not very exciting, but I was going over Stevens Pass over the Washington Cascades, in a bad snow storm, when my big, heavy Cadillac slid off the road on a turn and landed about 60 feet down an embankment. My buddy and I were fine, but we were stuck for about 6hrs until a Highway Patrolman found us. We had hiked up to the road for help, but it was too crazy and dangerous to try and flag the occasional motorist down in what had become a blizzard, the road was pure ice. So we waited down in the car.

We had some water, good coats, and IIRC, some food. Nothing substantial, just the normal stuff you'd have in the car for a 6 hour trip.

The trooper's first question when he hiked down to us was "Have any of you been drinking?!" I just grinned and said, I wish, we're pretty damned cold!

So eventually, a heavy duty tow truck with a very long cable got my rig back on the road and we were able to proceed.

Another time I had a van load of young scouts I'd taken into the mountains on a snow hike, and on the way back, on a corner, we slid off the road and were perched half over a 12' cliff above a small river, teetering there. Anybody remember the van scene from True Lies when the bridge gets blown? The two other rigs in our group stopped to help, but it really was precarious.

With a couple big ropes and tow straps, we were able to get my van back on the road and not lose it in the river. I was in 4wd, but that doesn't help much on slick ice.

These were many years ago. Since then, I've been better prepared, better skilled, and probably more lucky.
No rowdy kids were harmed in that event. But it was a bit hairy.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:40 am 

I would add a couple 30 gallon trash bags. They are light, easily packable, and can be used in numerous ways; heat balnket, poncho, close up that broken window, ground barrier, make shift roof, obviously as a bag, etc.

To answer the OP's question, you should always stay with the car. The inside of your car will never be colder than it is outside unless you drive a refer truck or something. In fact just your body heat will keep the interior slightly warmer than outside. However, the main factor is staying out of the elements. Rain or moisture from melting snow plus wind will sap body heat very quickly. The car is shelter and a beacon for the search crew. Is there going to be some scenarios where you have to leave? Sure, but in most cases staying with the vehicle is going to be your best option for survival. If you are stranded due to snow make sure you clear out around the exhaust pipe so the fumes can vent if you are going to start the car and use the heater occasionaly. You will want to check occasionaly that it has remained cleared from drifting or falling snow. Obviously I'm not talking about breaking down in the middle of civilization or a busy road way. I don't want you sleeping in your car for 3 days because you ran out of gas 2 miles from a gas station in a Walmart parking lot, because someone on the internet told you too.

"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics