Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Training Equipment

Post subject: Home-made rowing machine?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 am 

Hey all,

Anyone here made a decent rowing machine for the home gym?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:51 am 
Site Admin

You could perform pulls with resistance bands, but I wouldn't call this a rowing machine (still effective however, although different of course)

Ross

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 am 

what about filling a wheelbarrow with weight, grabbing the handles and "rowing" it up and down.......i don't know but it might work.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 am 

A waterski rope rig(or an equivalent) can be anchored to a secure fixed object like a chinup bar. Use your own bodyweight as resistance while you perform a rowing motion; the bands that Ross suggested can be used in a like manner( the reistance will come from both the bands & your bodyweight).
The 'gymnastic rings' in NG, can also be used to perform 'rowing squats'

Post subject: Band suggestion
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:30 pm 

It would sound like just adding a cheap $20 skateboard would make the bands and something to anchor them to (and press your feet off...like maybe a nice cooler filled with ice and water, or a pole), a PERFECT low-cost and effective rowing machine.

Infact, some nylon straps to wrap around your feet, and thread the band through, and then put your feet against a sturdy wall would probably do the trick.

Nylon bands: $2.00
Skateboard: $20.00 (probably less...)

lafnjack

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:17 pm 

Hey lafnjack
The lifeguard stations at Huntington Beach are great exercise platforms; see some pics in Shen's equipment site

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:15 am 

It'd be much more effective to find exercises that challenge the same muscle groups than diy a rowing machine. If you've ever rowed a racing shell/scull, or used a Concept II rowing erg or equivalent machine you'll quickly see that a cheap home-made machine won't cut it. If it ain't cheap, there's no point in home-made. You're better off doing db/kettlebell swings, cleans, snatches or high pulls.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:06 pm 

The Concept2 is indeed a top notch cardio machine. However, many do not have access to one or waterways where real rowing can be done. Using some of the aforementioned rope/band/webbing gizmos provide for a useful compromise.

BTW, the COncept2 works well as an Ab Wheel &/or Power Wheel

Post subject: Thanks!
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:34 pm 

Gruntbrain,

Thanks for pointing out those photos! I'll have to seriously consider that.

lafnjack

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:37 pm 

gruntbrain wrote:
The Concept2 is indeed a top notch cardio machine. However, many do not have access to one or waterways where real rowing can be done. Using some of the aforementioned rope/band/webbing gizmos provide for a useful compromise.

BTW, the COncept2 works well as an Ab Wheel &/or Power Wheel

I'm right there with you on the compromise part. It's the useful part I disagree with. DIY rowing machines will be hard pressed to produce the equivalent cv/muscular challenges as C2 rowers or actual on-the-water rowing. The beauty of C2 is how well it captures the on-water rowing experience. Almost every crew uses the C2 for off-water training, this is no accident. You'd be much better off running hill sprints, fartleks & doing the types of db/kettlebell exercises previously posted. Another exercise worth trying requires a high bar/tree branch. From a squat, jump up and grab the bar, pull up, repeat.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't DIY a rowing machine. I am saying you can achieve the same training results without breaking out the tool box to rig a kinda-sorta machine.

BTW, I remember you recommending using the C2 seat as an ab-wheel. Good call. It's a bit easier using the C2 seat for the roll-outs, something those progressing to the standing ab-roll out should consider.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Training Equipment