Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training

Post subject: Proper way to jump rope
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:34 pm 

What's the proper way to jump rope? By that I mean how to land (balls of feet correct?), knees bent or straight? Should I lean my body to the front just a little?
If anyone could explain the reasons why that would be great :)

I"m a newbie at jump roping, and I just want to have good form. Thank you very much!

Post subject: Re: Proper way to jump rope
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:18 am 

yeah good question, I mean that's how you wanna benefit from the exerscise. In terms of leather rope, you will just need to swing your wrists, not much of upper arm movement at all..which means your knees are not completely bent, but in the footing will change every now and then, when you do criss crosses, double unders..etc.. but since you just started rope skipping then you'll just do normal straight one, now most importantly is keeping your feet really really light and make as little contact with the ground as possible as you land. Your form will come naturally as you progress in it, cause in the beginning its more a skill, but here are some pointers:

-keep back slightly bent
-push shoulders back
-let your wrists move, don't waste unnecessary energy on your upper arms
-land on the tip of your toes
-make as little time on the ground as possible
-slightly bent knees

Style: Dutch Kickboxing / Savaté / San Shou / Viet Vo Dao
Training Log | Facebook

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:02 am 

The only thing I can concentrate on is not crisping my ankles so I jump/absorb with my calves; not my quads...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:21 am 

Savaté_MMA58 wrote:
-keep back slightly bent
-push shoulders back
-let your wrists move, don't waste unnecessary energy on your upper arms
-land on the tip of your toes
-make as little time on the ground as possible
-slightly bent knees

Dont forget:
-jump
-dont whip yourself in the ass or back of the head

100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"The less weaknesses you have, the stronger you really are."
"One thing at a time, most important thing first, start now."

My Blog
http://attack-fitness.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:22 am 

the best way to start is to just go through the motions without a rope first, until you get the hang of it.
then start jumping both feet together over the rope at the same time, it is a good way of gaining rhythm, and a good base for future techniques.
make sure your wrists are loose
have a slight bend in your knees
bounce on your toes, (as if in the ring)
keep your back straight.
but try not to kick your legs backwards when you jump (ie behind your body) or else they will catch on the rope more readily. :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:56 am 

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:07 am 

Might as well drag this up. Why not do the movement with out the rope? There are so many things you could do with your hands if you choose that would benefit you just as much if not more then holding a jump rope. One simple thing is jump while just holding your hands up by your chin. This gets hard fast. Another is simply pushing your hands forward like a mid air bench press when you jump off your calves. Fedor does this with a empty O bar somehow. I do this with a 25 pnd bar and it really destroys me...hell its hard w/o a bar its odd.

I mean isn't jumping rope just conditioning your body to move on the balls of your feet faster and more productive? Maybe a rope is like a box for squatting. It lets you know you jumped high enough...the thing is when your fighting/boxing you are not actually needing to jump.

Lets say you don't use a rope and you can do 500 jumps at 4 inches.
If you eventually max out at 1,000 jumps at 5 inches wouldn't that be a vast improvement on your calves just like a rope?

I think its easier and more convenient to just jump...as part of conditioning drills or when your cooling down. Any thoughts?

Also i read that if you "box squat" on a cushion its much harder then a normal box squat. I tried jumping on my calves with a cushion under me and it was HARD I did some mini normal jumps and it filled my legs up with lactic acid surprisingly fast. Try it it feels like you have been sparring 10-15 minutes(for me lol) in 1 minute. My legs always go first anyway.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:22 pm 

it's for hand to foot coordination, jump rope lots

Post Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:13 am 

Quote:
I mean isn't jumping rope just conditioning your body to move on the balls of your feet faster and more productive? Maybe a rope is like a box for squatting. It lets you know you jumped high enough...the thing is when your fighting/boxing you are not actually needing to jump.

I'd give a reply, but finally it's in Ross' 1st article:
Quote:
A skill-based finisher has obvious benefits. Consider an athlete who must fight hard during one final round. It is not enough to plunge forward without skill. The athlete must display skill despite the unbearable fatigue. The jump rope is just one of many ways to train this ability.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:40 am 

Yes one of many ways...as a finisher. Jumping rope is done more often when fresh or as a warm up. If its about hand/foot coordination could that be why Fedor jumps on his calves while pushing his arms forward w/ an O bar? I am sure other people do the work out but i can't find any information on it.

Also if its about hand/feet coordination wouldn't jumping while rubbing your belly and patting your head(or any variable) be harder then simply spinning your wrists? It sounds silly but if it is about coordination it would make sense.

I am guessing that is why people usually start doing the harder movements with the rope...coordination purposes. There are other ways to address this.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training