Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Wrist pain during handstand pushups
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:37 am 

Yesterday I tried wall handstand pushups. I managed to do a couple, but then I suddenly had to quit because of pain in my wrists.

I have been working on my wall handstand pushup progress for a couple of months now. First I familiarized myself with standing upside down against a wall, then I slowly started practicing the kick to wall handstand. Two weeks ago I started lowering my body while in a inverted stance against the wall, to train the handstand pushup itself. I start with 3 sets of 3 reps, lowering myself a little bit. I am nowhere near full ranged repetitions yet.

I think that my wrists are not strong enough to support my bodyweight during a handstand push up. My question, "how can I strengthen my wrists"?

Markus

Post subject: Re: Wrist pain during handstand pushups
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:49 am 

Do wrist exercises or/and exercises that includes the use of your wrist: push-ups (all kinds of variations) and pike press just to name a few. Wrist specific exercises, off the top of my head I would suggest getting a hammer, broom, whatever, hold it straight up and slowly using just your wrist rote it 90 degrees one way, then back up, then the samething the other way, and back up and that is one rep. There are also gadgets they sell but I find most quite boring and not worth the $$$. The one exercise I just mentioned, hell you can do that while watching TV so you don't experience the boredom that can come with it.

#1 tool to get fit and stay fit is consistency!

For ANY thread/post that the person types "I don't have time..." followed by some excuse read this: Make Time

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 am 

Hey Speedy! Thanks for your quick reply! Pike presses I am not familiared with yet, I will google those. As for the gadgets, I wasn't planning on buying anything expensive. Let me see if I can find something to do the wrist specific excersise you described.

Markus

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:53 am 

Two suggestions. One your problem may not be strenght but rather flexibility if this is the case then stretch out your forearm by gently pushing your fingers back. Look it up if you don't know what I mean. Secondly try flaring your hand out at a bit of an angle. So for instance if your were doing a pushup your hand would probably be parallel to your body. Now move your pinkies out so that your hand is more like 30 degress to your body. Anyway that helped me.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:36 am 

http://gripfaq.com/Wrist_Strength_Exercises/

Have at it. :)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 pm 

I did what speedy said, except I used a long wooden Bokken (Japanese Practice sword) and did that for wrist exercises with each arm, Leverage is a bitch.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:11 pm 

I also suffer pain in my wrist when doing these, I only get it in one, and I think it's down to flexibility rather than strength as it is my "stronger" arm

I just do them off of push up bars now, much better position for my wrists

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:58 am 

Flexibility will increase with strength, and dedication.. Do many variations of pushups (as was already pointed out)

Hands point out.. Hands pointing int.. Hands pointing back... On your wrists (Progress slowly! I sprained my wrist when I first tried these after seeing my tae kwon do instructor perform them when I was younger) buy a bag of rice or sand it makes no difference to me and pour it into a bucket, while moving your wrist in rotations, can also train your grip in this method by doing squeezing exercises. Do some Bridges from your hands, (This one really strengthened and made my wrists more flexible) Pushups on your knuckles.. Will strengthen the wrist, good old fashion wrist rolls 20-30 per direction once per day will improve flexibility, Isometrics.. Need anymore? I hope not, because I'm out.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:29 am 
Site Admin

Interesting wrist exercise...

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2009/08/we ... eaver.html

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:56 am 

^I've done something very similar, but never knew it actually had a name. Great stuff.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning