Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: What foods shouldn't I mix?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:47 am 

Is there somewhere I could read about what type of foods one shouldn't eat at the same meal? For example, some friends of mine said you shouldn't eat potatoes & meat at the same meal.

Post subject: Re: What foods shouldn't I mix?
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:52 am 

Did your friends also say why?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:55 am 

I think they said that it affects the digestion process.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:08 pm 

If I were the rude type, I'd say your friends are full of it :) I've found no reason to complicate things by worrying about mixing this with that; there are a few nutrition gurus who have mixing rules but plenty more who don't.

Where are you as far as your diet? IMO if you're not eating 90% real food, heavy on veggies, having cut out most crap, sweating this little details about food mixing will just distract you from the big diet movers.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:14 pm 

menthos and cola :)

but seriously...if you eat good healthy food you can mix it up as you like. Though some might have some effects at your digestion it wont be a a problem for you but for people who surround you ;)

cheers

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:27 pm 

I remember reading somewhere about large portions of fat and carbs in the same meal, But that could be bull, I dunno...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:38 pm 

Nobby, you probably did read that, there are definitely nutritionists who recommend against mixing fat and carbs; I vaguely remember Berardi might be one of them. On the other hand, the Mediterranean diet has been studied perhaps more closely for more decades than any other, and continues to be shown to be among the best, and it often features high fat and carbs together. I can tell you I mix carbs (in the form of whole grains or legumes) and fat (in the form of animal fats and olive oil) in meals and feel warnings against doing so are bull, both from the point of view of diets proven to be good for human health, and my own experience.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:19 pm 

Oreos and Nacho Cheese Doritos. They taste terrible together.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:38 pm 

Food combining (food combinations) appear within many nutritional guidelines. Of course, as with fitness, if you look around enough, you will find one that disputes another. As a former Precision Nutrition(ist), living with a raw foodist, I have insights towards a variety of food combinations that I humbly choose not to apply.

Of course, each of the aforementioned approaches work, for many people. However, using myself as the guinea pig, I tend to utilize and endorse what works (worked) for me. Over time, I've found food combinations to be very important in relation to my own nutritional, fitness, and body composition goals. Admittedly, I'm somewhat jealous, and (of course) a bit skeptical, of those that do not have to watch what they eat so carefully.

The guidelines I follow, utilizing Ori Hofmekler's Warrior Diet are:
a. Vegetables and protein combine with everything
b. Do not combine sugar with alcohol
c. Do not combine grain with alcohol
d. Do not combine grains with sugar
e. Do not combine nuts with sugar
f. Do not combine nuts with grains

In my own experience, a great deal my own misunderstanding about food combinations arose from erroneously categorizing foods. For example, using the Warrior Diet vernacular, fats, such as olive oil or EFAs (which I include in every meal) are separate from fat fuels such as nuts or seeds. Similarly, the carbs that naturally appear in vegetables (which are also included in each meal) are distinct from the carb fuels found in grains and certain vegetables (such as sweet potatoes).

The goals of this particular nutritional approach deals more with hormones and detoxification than caloric recommendations. For this reason, I've found, the guidelines to be essential for its success. Of course, utilizing real food, eating your vegetables (lots of them), and cutting out the crap will definitely point you in the right direction. However, it may be best to find what works best for you, and apply it liberally.

Best of luck with your training and nutritional goals.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:09 pm 

Don't mix boiled cabbage with M&Ms because once you try it, you won't want to eat anything else.

Also, I agree with Salto, first of all one should focus on real food. Then later on you can experiment with things like food combinations.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation