Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Wearing a weight vest all day long?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:05 pm 

Has anyone tried this before? Are there any adverse affects in doing this?

I finally got a weighted vest (75 lbs max) and what I would like to do is pretty much incorporate it into nearly everything I do while at home (even while doing chores) (It would be silly and stupid if i tried wearing it to work).

I'm sure the smartest thing to do is by wearing light at first, then add more weight as time goes on. However, I'm really tempted to try to endure the full load as long as I can throughout the day, then try to endure it longer the next day. Has anyone tried the latter?

Or should I try a periodization method?

All help and criticisms are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Wearing a weight vest all day long?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:16 pm 

What would you try to accomplish with that?

After all the effort you will get irritated by wearing that shit all day over, pissed off, it will tire you out for your real workout, and gains won't be much of thing.

If you wanna you can't put some heavy shit on or around your neck, like a barbell and do squats, that will toughen your skin and give obvious strenght gains. You can put a sandbag on your back shoulders, traps and carry it, do squats, lugnes, jumps etc with it.

You can use vests for pushups, pullup and similiar. Workout is a workout, it lasts one or few hours, then you REST.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:38 pm 

ice wrote:
What would you try to accomplish with that?

My plan is kind of like trying to endure a finisher that never ends. I have a really crazy (or really dumb) theory that if I trick my body into thinking that it's heavier than it really is, it will adjust itself and set everyday functions at that weight. Kind of a like constantly forcing an isometric exercise on my body all day. So if I can constantly run X mph at my weight + 25 lbs, then without the weight I should be faster and can jump higher.

Quote:
After all the effort you will get irritated by wearing that shit all day over, pissed off, it will tire you out for your real workout, and gains won't be much of thing.

This is what I expect to happen, initially. Then I would hope that I would get used to it and can function better as I progress.

Quote:
If you wanna you [can] put some heavy shit on or around your neck, like a barbell and do squats, that will toughen your skin and give obvious strenght gains. You can put a sandbag on your back shoulders, traps and carry it, do squats, lugnes, jumps etc with it.

You can use vests for pushups, pullup and similiar. Workout is a workout, it lasts one or few hours, then you REST.

This is what I'm already doing, the weight vest is in addition to all of this.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:03 pm 

Why not Hang yourself upside-down from ceiling and hold that position for 4 days without cancelling it. It will correct out your posture 100%. And better posture is better gains in strength and everything else.

Check out Jordan's posture, his posture was always 100% unless he had to do something stupid while he was in the air, that kept him out of injuries and was the key to his succes.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:07 pm 

that's my plan for big calves.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:26 pm 

I find that a weighted vest is infuriating as hell to be wearing by the end of a workout. I can't wait to take it off. Kind of like wearing too tight shoes or a bandage that's wrapped too tight or something. Wearing one all day sounds like a great way to ruin your mood.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:43 pm 

like novocaine said, id like to do it for big calves, but it just gets on your nerves way too much. would put me in a FOUL mood if i had to wear it all day.

for big calves i would hve thought youd have to wear it along time (years) and do a fair bit of walking with it ?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:08 pm 

Fully loaded vest and going up and down a long range of stairs is a good way to build calves. I once went up and down 100 steps each way until failure with 75 lbs on. next day, major doms in the quads and calves. could barley lower myself down on the toilet without having to hold onto the wall or counter. That was my first time wearing a vest and I started saving up money to get my own ever since.

If you just want to build calves, perhaps investing in ankle weights instead of a vest? You can wear those all day long and conceal them underneath your pants.

As for the feeling of a too tight shoe, I agree with that. I tried tabata sledge hammering with 50 lbs on. Couldn't breathe adequately after that, but it took every will power I had to not take the vest off.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:16 pm 

This thread is rediculous. Some one has already posted it (or one similar) like last month too. For one thing. An extra seventy five lbs. on your joints all the time is going really degenerate them. I mean I understand that your planning on working up to it, but it would take a really long time to do it safely. The gains would be marginal at best, even with the full 75lbs. The time and effort that it takes to work up to that high of a weight will definately take away from all other work out oriented endeavors that you tried to undertake, which would in turn make you fall behind in the ones you currently engage in. Not good. Furthermore, if you walked around with an extra 75lbs. all day long, assuming that it didnt hurt your back/knees severely, you'd need to up your calorie intake by something ungodly to ever see any muscle gains from it. Because you would certainly be burning way more calories than just at your normal, no weighted... :think: Weight... Um. Also, no matter how slowly you build up to it, this isnt DragonBallZ world, if this technique worked and showed good gains, it would already be in practice by athletes everywhere. But it doesnt work and your shoulders/back/knees would eventually be ripped apart by the every day wear and tear cause by the constant overload you were putting on them. There are just so many factors working against you in this situation. Why not just work out? As Ross always says, there is no magic bullet. Passive shit like wearing a weighted vest or wearing 15lbs. ankle weights all day equates to stupidity and asking to get injured. (Oh god. No. Dont even think about adding ankle weights to your plan.) Just use your vest as intended and like every other athelete currently does, to enhance your work out. Then take it off for the rest of the day. You should look into applying the whole quality and not quantity idea. Its great.

Also, if your not working explosively, which I assume you dont vaccum your floor or take out the trash "explosively" then it wont do you much good in translation to sports because you will be working on your slow twitch muscle fibres.

Oh yea. I dont know if you were intending to sleep in your vest. But please dont. Just please. Dont do it.

Oh yea. Just to cover my own ass. I'm not saying that trying to pioneer new and exciting ways to work out is stupid or with out cause. The comment I made that if it worked then athletes would already be doing it only applies to this particular situation. Dont you think that if it was something so simple, such as this, others would know about it? Try googling something, then as a last resort, or if your just not sure, then ask.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:03 pm 

facesmasher wrote:
This thread is rediculous. Some one has already posted it (or one similar) like last month too. For one thing. An extra seventy five lbs. on your joints all the time is going really degenerate them. I mean I understand that your planning on working up to it, but it would take a really long time to do it safely. The gains would be marginal at best, even with the full 75lbs. The time and effort that it takes to work up to that high of a weight will definately take away from all other work out oriented endeavors that you tried to undertake, which would in turn make you fall behind in the ones you currently engage in. Not good. Furthermore, if you walked around with an extra 75lbs. all day long, assuming that it didnt hurt your back/knees severely, you'd need to up your calorie intake by something ungodly to ever see any muscle gains from it. Because you would certainly be burning way more calories than just at your normal, no weighted... :think: Weight...

Are you absolutely sure about this being bad for the joints? That is the part that concerns me the most, and the reason I'm asking others here who may have attempted this. I figured stretching, squats and running in the sand and taking a rest day might counter the negatives. But if that's the case, then I'll have to do this occasionally instead of constantly

Quote:
Um. Also, no matter how slowly you build up to it, this isnt DragonBallZ world, if this technique worked and showed good gains, it would already be in practice by athletes everywhere. But it doesnt work and your shoulders/back/knees would eventually be ripped apart by the every day wear and tear cause by the constant overload you were putting on them. There are just so many factors working against you in this situation.

dragonballz? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

This is practiced by athletes. Boxers shadowbox with dumbbells or underwater. Firefighters have to run into a building, climb ladders, carry a charged hose while wearing at least 50lbs worth of PPE, tools and the SCBA. Football players wear full gear and do their practices and play regulation games constantly sprinting, tackling, pushing around people as heavy or heavier than themselves. Certainly not as for long as I'm attempting, but they do this for a good portion of their day.

Quote:
Why not just work out? As Ross always says, there is no magic bullet. Passive shit like wearing a weighted vest or wearing 15lbs. ankle weights all day equates to stupidity and asking to get injured. (Oh god. No. Dont even think about adding ankle weights to your plan.) Just use your vest as intended and like every other athelete currently does, to enhance your work out. Then take it off for the rest of the day. You should look into applying the whole quality and not quantity idea. Its great.

Also, if your not working explosively, which I assume you dont vaccum your floor or take out the trash "explosively" then it wont do you much good in translation to sports because you will be working on your slow twitch muscle fibres.

I do work out, what I'm trying to do is in addition to my workouts. I know there's no magic bullet, but there's also no one single way to work out. I have no intention in being entirely passive. I just want to get accustomed to constant stress, despite of what I'm doing. I'll still attempt explosive workouts, burpees, sledgehammering, sprinting, rope pulling, bear crawling and such. Obviously not at weights that I can't handle. Like I said, it's like a never ending finisher. I got this idea after getting out of the swimming pool, I felt heavier and more slow, so I figured to try the opposite.

You should also have read my previous post more carefully. I said nothing about adding ankle weights to the vest. I merely suggested ankle weights INSTEAD of the vest. alexjones234 was concerned about the duration of wearing the vest to make gains with only calves. I suggested ankles because they're more concealable and less inhibiting than the standard vest.

Quote:
Oh yea. I dont know if you were intending to sleep in your vest. But please dont. Just please. Dont do it.

No, of course not. :mozilla_undecided:

Quote:
Oh yea. Just to cover my own ass. I'm not saying that trying to pioneer new and exciting ways to work out is stupid or with out cause. The comment I made that if it worked then athletes would already be doing it only applies to this particular situation. Dont you think that if it was something so simple, such as this, others would know about it? Try googling something, then as a last resort, or if your just not sure, then ask.

You'd be surprised on how many people bypass simple and fundamental stuff. I also don't think this is new. Bronze Age and Iron Age soldiers in full armor had to battle for hours. Modern soldiers in multi-layered kevlar fight day and night in their gear from their helmets, to their heavy boots. I was certain that someone here has attempted to wear a vest all day, that's why I'm asking.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning