Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 am 

Hello all,

Firstly, I am totally new to barbell work, so I apologize for my ignorance on this topic. I'm still learning.

I do not have a rack, so can't do heavy squats (I'm working on getting one, but will be some months till I have the cash to spend). In the meantime, I've heard it said that good squatters are usually good sumo deadlifters because the mechanics are similar. This leads me to wonder whether the mechanics are similar enough for the sumo DL to be used in place of the back squat. And if similar enough, could I replace squats in a SS-type routine?

Am I on the right track?

Many thanks,
Hamster

Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:24 am 

Deadlifts or Sumo deadlifts are good substitutes if you can't squat - throw in some good mornings too.

Not sustain additional major injuries.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:23 am 

You don't need to buy a squat rack. Google "homemade squat rack." Buy wood, some bolts, use a saw and your in business.

Look up Hack squats also called behind the back deadlifts-they hammer the legs good and hard as well.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 am 

Metroplex wrote:
You don't need to buy a squat rack. Google "homemade squat rack." Buy wood, some bolts, use a saw and your in business.

Look up Hack squats also called behind the back deadlifts-they hammer the legs good and hard as well.

Unfortunately, I'm about as handy as an chimp. The homemade squat rack idea is very appealing, but would cost me hundreds in lost time, new tools, etc. The learning curve may be just too steep for me. I will keep hunting craigslist...

I tried the hack squats, as well as sumo DL, and the problem with both is that they don't go down that far, so you don't get full range in the squat. I'm currently pairing barbell DL with single leg squat, which I think it a good complementary pairing.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 am 

Power clean + front squat?

Or learn to Steinborn?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 am 

heliobates wrote:
Or learn to Steinborn?

I was just reading about that on stronglifts.com. Have you done it? Looks like a good way to put a hole in the wall... :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:01 pm 

Steinborn squats are a lift for the backyard, that's for sure.

Pavel Tsatsouline recommended sumo deadlifts in his Power to the People program for anybody who wanted to focus more on their hamstrings and glutes. To focus more on the quads he recommended deadlifting with the heels almost together, feet pointed out at roughly 45 degrees. That program was for guys who have nothing but a barbell to train with so you get creative with your deadlifts to shift the emphasis to this bodypart or that depending on what your current goals are.

If you're doing starting strength and replacing squats with sumo deadlifts, are you still also doing conventional deadlifts as well? Make sure to take care of your hands if you are.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:04 pm 

hamster wrote:
heliobates wrote:
Or learn to Steinborn?

I was just reading about that on stronglifts.com. Have you done it? Looks like a good way to put a hole in the wall... :mozilla_smile:

These are ok for weights you can easily squat.

Not sustain additional major injuries.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:47 pm 

MacCharles wrote:
Steinborn squats are a lift for the backyard, that's for sure.

Pavel Tsatsouline recommended sumo deadlifts in his Power to the People program for anybody who wanted to focus more on their hamstrings and glutes. To focus more on the quads he recommended deadlifting with the heels almost together, feet pointed out at roughly 45 degrees. That program was for guys who have nothing but a barbell to train with so you get creative with your deadlifts to shift the emphasis to this bodypart or that depending on what your current goals are.

If you're doing starting strength and replacing squats with sumo deadlifts, are you still also doing conventional deadlifts as well? Make sure to take care of your hands if you are.

Hi Mac. No, I haven't started the sumo's. Right now I'm doing conventional deadlifts along with pistol squats for ATG action.

So based on what Pavel's saying, I could use conventional DL for posterior chain and heels-together DL as a replacement for squats in Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5/5?

I know there's often no definite answer to these things. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:56 pm 

Get a pair of sawhorses from home depot, cost you under $40

http://danjohn.net/pdfs/bp.pdf

^^ some other good ideas.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning