Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:15 am 

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 1595
Hello all,

Firstly, I am totally new to barbell work, so I apologize for my ignorance on this topic. I'm still learning.

I do not have a rack, so can't do heavy squats (I'm working on getting one, but will be some months till I have the cash to spend). In the meantime, I've heard it said that good squatters are usually good sumo deadlifters because the mechanics are similar. This leads me to wonder whether the mechanics are similar enough for the sumo DL to be used in place of the back squat. And if similar enough, could I replace squats in a SS-type routine?

Am I on the right track?

Many thanks,
Hamster

_________________
jimlang wrote:
Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:24 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:09 pm
Posts: 1578
Deadlifts or Sumo deadlifts are good substitutes if you can't squat - throw in some good mornings too.

_________________
New goals -
Drop down to 225 to defeat the bane of my family's existence - Metabolic Syndrome;
Live to see all 5 kids graduate from college;
Not sustain additional major injuries.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:23 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:03 pm
Posts: 53
You don't need to buy a squat rack. Google "homemade squat rack." Buy wood, some bolts, use a saw and your in business.

Look up Hack squats also called behind the back deadlifts-they hammer the legs good and hard as well.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 am 

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 1595
Metroplex wrote:
You don't need to buy a squat rack. Google "homemade squat rack." Buy wood, some bolts, use a saw and your in business.

Look up Hack squats also called behind the back deadlifts-they hammer the legs good and hard as well.


Unfortunately, I'm about as handy as an chimp. The homemade squat rack idea is very appealing, but would cost me hundreds in lost time, new tools, etc. The learning curve may be just too steep for me. I will keep hunting craigslist...

I tried the hack squats, as well as sumo DL, and the problem with both is that they don't go down that far, so you don't get full range in the squat. I'm currently pairing barbell DL with single leg squat, which I think it a good complementary pairing.

_________________
jimlang wrote:
Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 313
Location: Toronto
Power clean + front squat?

Or learn to Steinborn?

_________________
ice wrote:
It's all gone. All that is left are grandpas that are in badass shape, nerdy guys like heliobates and you can't even tell them to fuck off anymore


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:20 am 

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 1595
heliobates wrote:
Or learn to Steinborn?


I was just reading about that on stronglifts.com. Have you done it? Looks like a good way to put a hole in the wall... :mozilla_smile:


_________________
jimlang wrote:
Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:01 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 7:54 am
Posts: 1969
Steinborn squats are a lift for the backyard, that's for sure.

Pavel Tsatsouline recommended sumo deadlifts in his Power to the People program for anybody who wanted to focus more on their hamstrings and glutes. To focus more on the quads he recommended deadlifting with the heels almost together, feet pointed out at roughly 45 degrees. That program was for guys who have nothing but a barbell to train with so you get creative with your deadlifts to shift the emphasis to this bodypart or that depending on what your current goals are.

If you're doing starting strength and replacing squats with sumo deadlifts, are you still also doing conventional deadlifts as well? Make sure to take care of your hands if you are.

_________________
Click here for my training log, weekly routine and exact sets and reps.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:09 pm
Posts: 1578
hamster wrote:
heliobates wrote:
Or learn to Steinborn?


I was just reading about that on stronglifts.com. Have you done it? Looks like a good way to put a hole in the wall... :mozilla_smile:



These are ok for weights you can easily squat.

_________________
New goals -
Drop down to 225 to defeat the bane of my family's existence - Metabolic Syndrome;
Live to see all 5 kids graduate from college;
Not sustain additional major injuries.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:47 pm 

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 1595
MacCharles wrote:
Steinborn squats are a lift for the backyard, that's for sure.

Pavel Tsatsouline recommended sumo deadlifts in his Power to the People program for anybody who wanted to focus more on their hamstrings and glutes. To focus more on the quads he recommended deadlifting with the heels almost together, feet pointed out at roughly 45 degrees. That program was for guys who have nothing but a barbell to train with so you get creative with your deadlifts to shift the emphasis to this bodypart or that depending on what your current goals are.

If you're doing starting strength and replacing squats with sumo deadlifts, are you still also doing conventional deadlifts as well? Make sure to take care of your hands if you are.


Hi Mac. No, I haven't started the sumo's. Right now I'm doing conventional deadlifts along with pistol squats for ATG action.

So based on what Pavel's saying, I could use conventional DL for posterior chain and heels-together DL as a replacement for squats in Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5/5?

I know there's often no definite answer to these things. Your advice is very much appreciated.

_________________
jimlang wrote:
Bunch a burpee lovin' dorks...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sumo deadlift as replacement for back squat
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 2174
Location: Colorado
Get a pair of sawhorses from home depot, cost you under $40

http://danjohn.net/pdfs/bp.pdf

^^ some other good ideas.

_________________
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit"


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Radical Jack

 
 

Ads by Google


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to: