Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Benefits of Hill Sprints ?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:34 pm 

i know this sounds dumb, but for those who've implemented and used hill sprints in their or their athletes training program, what are some of the benefits you've noticed in implementing hill sprints. Ex. greater lower body explosiveness or explosiveness in general, fat-loss, a carry-over effect in the ring like stamina, increased work rate, etc...I'm just curious.

Post subject: Re: Benefits of Hill Sprints ?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 pm 

Incredible increase in anaerobic endurance, lower body strength and power, increase in leg size, jumping ability, and flat out sprinting speed.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 pm 

Honestly, I think that if I had to pick just one exercise that would be intended to encompass all aspects of athletic performance, it would be hill sprints.

They're awesome. They really seem to blurr the line between aerobic and anaerobic. Since i'm bigger too I can slack off on my lower body lifting and just supplement my training with hill sprints. The end result for me has been a big increase in my all around explosiveness (not just lower body) and if not total retention of my lower body strength added functionality/mobility that I dont get from doing squats.

They'll burn fat like a mother too. #1 thing i'de recommend for fatties trying to shed pounds.

I just cant pump them up enough. If you intend on fighting then do your hill sprints. You will NOT regret it. I guarantee it. Cant really think of much else i'de replace hill sprints with. Not even pushing a prowler.......

Wait... I've never tried to push a prowler up a hill............................... :think:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:05 pm 

Hill sprints are God's gift to man lol. Everything Tiny and Facesmasher said is spot on. Even a smaller hill can give you a hard time. I'm actually excited for tomorrow b/c they are on my running routine to do. One of my favorite routines, b/c I kickbox, is to have a friend stand at the top of the hill holding a pad. I sprint up throw 5 shinbone kicks each leg, drop down do 20 push ups and job back down and repeat for 8-10 sets.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:21 pm 

facesmasher wrote:
Honestly, I think that if I had to pick just one exercise that would be intended to encompass all aspects of athletic performance, it would be hill sprints.

They're awesome. They really seem to blurr the line between aerobic and anaerobic. Since i'm bigger too I can slack off on my lower body lifting and just supplement my training with hill sprints. The end result for me has been a big increase in my all around explosiveness (not just lower body) and if not total retention of my lower body strength added functionality/mobility that I dont get from doing squats.

They'll burn fat like a mother too. #1 thing i'de recommend for fatties trying to shed pounds.

I just cant pump them up enough. If you intend on fighting then do your hill sprints. You will NOT regret it. I guarantee it. Cant really think of much else i'de replace hill sprints with. Not even pushing a prowler.......

Wait... I've never tried to push a prowler up a hill............................... :think:

^ damn it sounds so tempting...i'm gettin eager to go right now to this hill thats up the street from me :drool: but its 9:18pm, i'm gonna try it out tomorrow. Yeah because lately i've been wanting to incorporate more running into my conditioning program, so far i've been doing a lot of farlek running, usually running a little over a mile intermittent with 25 burpees 4x. But I'm gonna finally incorporate these bad boys into my arsenal. Thanks for your tempting advice :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:27 pm 

my favorite all time exercise. go go go

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 pm 

Shuruga wrote:
my favorite all time exercise. go go go

^ I will, damn it i'm too excited :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:05 pm 

I used to do hill sprints in Signal Hill/Long Beach CA area. I really need to get my ass over there to run man.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:08 pm 

bpc wrote:
I used to do hill sprints in Signal Hill/Long Beach CA area. I really need to get my ass over there to run man.

Why you stop? :think: Did you feel they benefited you in any particular way?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:15 pm 

Well I used to do 40 yard sprints up and walk back down 5-10 times. I want to try more Ross style hill running where I actually run 1-3 miles and do sprints uphill off and on. That sounds like murder!

Great benefit and part of the reason I don't do them anymore is I used to live literally walking distance from Signal Hill. Now I'm at least 30 minutes away.

Now I just do "regular" sprints simply because I can save time by walking out my front door and run around my complex. However, hill sprints probably are better due to the incline/resistance. I've always thought sprints (flat, hill etc) are probably one of the best all around things you can do for losing fat, gaining muscle, sports (esp basketball) etc.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning